The release of branch 1602 for System Center Configuratoin Manager (ConfigMgr) brings support for upgrading Site Servers from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2. This is important for many organizations becuase support for ConfigMgr Sites running on Server 2008 R2 will end in early 2017. In the video below, I walk through the process of upgrading the OS and verifying ConfigMgr is running properly.
ConfigMgr v1602 Server OS Upgrade from Concurrency on Vimeo.
The high level steps covered in the video above:
- Backup your ConfigMgr Site.
- Remove any third party virus scan.
- Uninstall WSUS, including the database.
- Disable ConfigMgr Services.
- Upgrade to Server 2012 R2.
- Verify the OS upgrade was successful.
- Reinstall WSUS and create the WSUS Database.
- Enable ConfigMgr Services.
- Verify ConfigMgr Site is running.
- Update ConfigMgr Software Update Point settings for Server 2012 R2.
- Confirm the initial WSUS synchronization is successful.
- Reinstall any third party virus scan.
- Install Windows Updates, if needed.
WSUS Uprade Notes from Technet: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh852345.aspx
ConfigMgr 1602 Release Notes: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt622084.aspx#bkmk_1602